Welcome To The Website of St.Mary & St.Barlok Church In The Peaceful Hamlet of Norbury, In Derbyshire DE6 2EQ

The church dates back to 1295, when the Fitzherbert family built the existing church, all be it the chancel only. In the 14th and 15th century the remainder was added. An Anglo- Saxon church did precede this which is evident by the Saxon columns found in the church.

The church displays a splendid wealth of medieval artwork and architecture, and the crowning glory is its rare Grisaille stained glass windows in the chancel, dating at 1306. These windows were cleaned by specialists at Holywell glass of Wells in 2004 by which these windows are some of the best examples of this glass in the country.

The Alabaster tombs are also noted to be among the finest in the land, the alabaster from Chellaston and the craftsmen from Nottingham. With superb detail the figures of Nicholas Fitzherbert ,Ralph and his wife Elizabeth Fitzherbert and all their children have been carved George Elliot, the author lived in Roston for a short while, and Robert Evans, her father lived at Roston and is buried along with his wife and mother and father in Norbury churchyard.

Recent cleaning of the rare Grizaille Stained glass windows on all 8 panels, 4 north and 4 south side, was carried out in April. The glass was sent to Holywells in Somerset in 2004 for 18 months to be initially cleaned. English Heritage have also instigated, after monitoring the levels of condensation which is causing algae to form, isothermal glazing. This will protect the glass from further damage. The drains, outside, have also been repaired to allow the fabric of the church to dry out. The whole of this project has cost approx. £220,000, most of which is funded by English Heritage.

Norbury Manor, adjacent to the church, is now available to rent Self-catering for up to 10 persons by the National Trust.

The Church is open each day.
All services each Sunday at 11.00am except 5th Sunday when there is none